Friday, December 3, 2010

Krista and Erin in Uruguay part 2

In Montevideo we stayed at the Red Hostel. It was super cozy with its big living room area and massive fireplace that provided ample heat for the entire living space and surrounding rooms. One night after dinner Krista and I attempted to go out, we were told that it was still early, given it was only midnight but we figured we would give it a go anyway. As we walked through one of the major plazas in the city, Krista and I huddled close together and chatted. Perhaps we were not paying enough attention to our surroundings because out of nowhere I felt a violent tug at my purse. It was so strong that it knocked me down, I stared in amazement at the 14 year-old boy who had tried to grab my purse. Krista helped me up from the ground but just as she did so another little turd ran passed me and gave a second go at my purse. This one was successful as the beautifully tooled leather strap of my purse (just recently purchased while I was in La Paz, Bolivia) broke. The two of us just stood in total shock for a moment then quickly decided that it would be best if we left as soon as possible for eventually the boys would get someplace and open my purse only to discover that it was completely empty except for a couple maps of the city. Something in my head had told me to put my wallet into my pocket, not my purse, when we left the restaurant that evening. I hope you like my empty purse you little turds.

The next day we scheduled a bus that would take us to the city of Salto. This was a long haul, another overnight bus that was more or less comfortable. Arriving far too early in the morning we had to take a super spendy taxi to get to the other side of town where we were hoping to be able to just jump into the thermal baths and have a day of relaxation. No. That would have been far too easy. Given the early hour, nothing was open, we finally found a hotel diner where we could get in from the cold and eat some breakfast. Finally the sun came out and we spent the remainder of the day enjoying the public thermal pools. Ahhh so relaxing. The little town is pretty funny as everyone just walks around in their bathrobes as they wonder into various restaurants, then back to their hotels and back again to the numerous thermal baths for which the town is known.

From here we continued on our slow and steady path up to the north of Argentina toward Iguazu falls. We took our time and spent a few extra days in various little towns along the way. It was so nice to be able to spend time with such a good girlfriend, someone who has known me for ages and knows me well! I am so happy that she came to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment