Monday, December 13, 2010

Juan´s Birthday

September 14, 2010

Birthdays in Argentina are about as important as weddings, or so it seems. Today Juancito turned 25, just a baby. hahhaha. David, Kupcake (a.k.a. Kevin) and I went to his house around 9 PM and I guess we were a bit late as the house was already full of people. We are still terrible with the timing here... if you want to go out at night you don´t bother showing up to a friend´s house until 11:30 PM or 12 then go to a bar and around 2 or so you go to a club until the bright daylight hours of the next morning, i.e. 6 or 7 AM. It is a bit ridiculous if you ask me but we are working to assimilate with the local culture. Anyway, the party was at Juan´s mom, Ruth´s, house. We ate, drank and were merry then at midnight we sang ¨Happy Birthday,¨in Spanish (ohh how my heart ached for someone to sing along with me our family version of the song), after the singing and candles everyone hugs and kisses the birthday boy. I love that about the Latin culture! I am enchanted with how physically affectionate people are on a daily basis. Kisses are given every time you come or go, when you first meet someone before you have even been introduced, even if you are just seeing them in passing. I especially like it when big, giant men give each other man kisses. hahahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment