Monday, June 14, 2010

Unique Experience of the Day

Peruvian taxis. I have already written about the terrifying manor in which most Peruvians drive but yesterday I had an experience that was truly unique to the mountain lands. I was in a cab on my way to town, no big deal, right? It was one of the nicest cabs in the valley, a shiny red Toyota Yaris. Fancy! The thing even had working seat belts!
There we were just putting along behind a few cows that some lady was taking for a walk down the street. Since the hind end of a cow doesn´t offer much of a view, I zoned out by looking out my window. There was a huge THUMP and I was startled back to reality. We had just struck one of the cows! With his mouth agape, the cab driver brought us to a bumpy halt. Clearly the Yaris had nothing on the mass of the cow as the beast barely turned her head to get a view of the tiny nuisance that had just hit her. The cow´s owner was much more upset than the beast herself. The woman yelled and chucked something at the cab as we continued down the dirt path. Unfortunately, in the end the cab didn´t fare as well as the cow. Final count: Cow:1 Cab:0. Lessons of the day: 1) watch where you walk your cow 2)open your eyes as you drive your car because there might just be a HUGE animal in the road that will cause massive damage to your car if you try to take it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment