Thursday, June 3, 2010

THE TREK - Ausangate Day 1

Hotel to taxi to bus to tiny town of Tinki- vegetable soup, hot tea and some sammies then off towards the hills.

We were being led by the shy beauty, Katrina. Her garb would put the best of hikers to shame. This cute, tiny chick cruised in the traditional attire of the Andian women; she wore 5 layers of alpaca skirts, 2 alpaca sweaters, wool tights, the traditional hat that signified she was married and naturally SANDLES. Obviously, traditional hiking attire. I kept looking from her to my friends and myself all decked out in our technical clothing and there she is WITHOUT socks! We asked if her feet got cold up around oh say 5,000 meters but she would only quietly reply that she wasn´t used to socks so, no she didn´t get cold... Wow!

Katrina is married to Melatone, who was our lead horseman and chef for the trek. The two of them along with their pal Luis, would set-up and break-down camp, prepare our delicious meals, pack and lead the horses and in general tend to our comfort for the duration of the trek. Now this defined five-star camping. I mean really, they even set up a poop tent for us! In all my camping days I never even knew a poop tent was an option!

This first day was supposed to be a very mellow walk, I was told I could wear hiking boots if I felt like it but they wouldn't be necessary. However, when the sudden rain was replaced with hail I rejoiced my proper choice of footwear but repeatedly scolded myself for donning a tiny cotton hoodie as opposed to a raincoat... Live and learn. After several hours tromping through what quickly became marshland, my ungloved fingers were so cold and frozen they quite resembled those of an arthritic old woman. Ah but all was not lost for when we arrived at camp not only were are tents set up, warm food on the way but there were also steaming thermal baths in which we were able to thaw our freezing bodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment