Thursday, June 3, 2010

THE TREK - Ausangate Day 3

I slept like a princess in all my layers. That is until I was so rudely startled from my slumber by the crack and crash of what was unquestionably a particularly loud and angry sounding avalanch. I shot straight up in bed because in my hazy-dreamy state I was certain that there had just been a massive avalanch and we were now packed in the tent by an entire mountain of snow. I woke my tent mate to see if my fears would be supported by another's rational. When I inquired as to the origin of the sound I was informed that it was only the wind. Are you sure? I replied. But to this I only received the sarcastic response that it could possibly be bats... Clearly not satisfied with either explaination, I peered out the tent door and to my bewilderment found all well. Green bits of grass lay outside the tent, not a speck of snow in sight, all was just as I had left it a few hours ago. I'd soon find out that this was just the beginning of crazy...

The day was beautiful and the sights astounding but as we climbed higher and higher I found my breaths becoming shorter and shorter. With each gasping breath attempting to obtain adequate oxygen I promised myself, if I were ever to embark upon another high altitude adventure that I would certainly do a better job of training prior to the actual event. After we reached what seemed to be a never ending peak we were met by views that absolutely took what little air was left in my lungs. Ahead, stood a magestic red mountain, below a sparkling green and blue lagoon that beckoned us closer, in the distance were the snow peaks of the Andes and far back in the direction we had just come were the rolling green and gold hills so associated with these parts of Peru. After a quick 600 meter (to convert meters to feet multiply by 3.3) descent we took a few moments to enjoy a snack and throw rocks into the glassy lagoon. Then moments later we were trekking back up the other side of the valley. This killer ascent of a nearly 900 meter elevation increase seriously took it's toll on my poorly trained body. When I reached the top, two members of our group were already feasting on some sandwiches but hunger was the very last thing on my mind. I just laid there on the top of that mountain exhausted and gulping in whatever air I could manage at 5,300 meters. From this side of the valley, the views were equally astonishing but my focus was on getting down, down, down. Somewhere along the way to camp I developed a serious case of the grumbles. As you can imagine, it is mega bad news to get the grumbles while you are on the trail. Once we reached camp, it was all I could do to remove my boots before climbing into the tent. Dinner came and went, I showed up for a cracker and a bit of tea then it was back to bed for me. The best part of this wretched evening was snuggling with my metal water bottle that had been filled with boiling water. At least it would be a warm night.

No comments:

Post a Comment