Thursday, June 3, 2010

THE TREK - Ausangate Day 2

Holy, coldest night ever! We weren't even that high but I couldn't manage to get warm. I kept envisioning Katrina´s unsocked feet and how miserable I would be if someone were to take away my layers of cozy wool socks. Wow, what a baby, right?

The morning consisted of what was now our daily ritual of consuming the lemons, followed by me leading the group in yoga (I truly apologize to all those REAL and LEGIT yoga instructors for my blasphemy) and then devouring a delicious, hot breakfast. Today's routine differed in that we also embarked upon another offering ceremony. The entire process was very similar to that which was lead by Maximo in Pachacamac but this time was directed by Janine (mom). Again, very interesting and I was grateful to be able to participate in something so vastly different than my culture's traditional ways of giving thanks.

Today's was was beautiful and full of numerous fantastic lagoons. I learned that during the time of Inca rule, they would use these huge pools as places to gaze at the stars without having to strain their necks as they gaped at the cosmos. Those Incas just thought of everything!

Our camp was incredibly close to the snow peak and throughout the evening we would hear tremendous cracks and booms of the continuous avalanches occurring on the Ausangate peak. Given our close proximity to the mountain, I imagined tonight's low temperature would probably trump the chill of last night so I layered up appropriately. I wore 2 pair of thermal pants, the ugly pajama pants I purchased in Pisac, neon-yellow snow pants (thanks Janine), 2 thermal shirts, a fleece, a down coat, 2 pair of wool socks, gloves and an alpaca hat! I was snug as a bug in a rug!

No comments:

Post a Comment