Monday, May 17, 2010

So much in so few days...

Who knew I could fall in love so fast? The people, the culture, the food are amazing here in Peru! I have been fortunate to have been introduced to an incredible couple of women, Janine (mother) and Janine (daughter) who have taken me in and make me feel as comfortable and welcome as family. A special thanks to Sebastian and Laura for introducing me to their family.
The first day I was in Miraflores (the city right outside of Lima) the weather was unbelievably gorgeous!!! This time of year it is typical to have the coast covered in a thick fog; probably similar to basically everyday in San Francisco... I was able to cruise around the city, through the various parks and along the beautiful coastline. After a few hours of exploration I went to meet Janine (daughter) at her photo studio and gallery. From there Janine (mother), the little girls and I ventured to Putno Hermosa to visit Janine´s (mom) boyfriend Manuel. The beach was lovely, the water not as cold as at home but still not warm enough to warrant me fully immersing myself in it. After some time in the sun we went back to the house (by back I mean we walked the 20 feet from the shore back to the porch) and ate a delicious typical Peruvian meal followed by decadent desserts! Wow, yum!
The next day we went to explore a bio/organic market where we again ate a delicious feast of super healthy (and this time totally vegetarian Peruvian foods). A delightful couple who are friends with Janine and Manuel met us at the market. There was so much to see and taste that we left only after purchasing enough stuff that we nearly had to hire a donkey to carry it all back to the car. With stomachs not nearly empty enoughh we headed to a lovely joint called LA73 where we ate tuna tartar, leek pie, corn y queso, sol with artichoke puree, tuna with sweet potato and cheese, then came the desserts... oh my!!! After several hours we finally rolled ourselves back to the car and headed into the center of Lima so we could do a bit of evening sightseeing.
Bottom line. 16 hours of travel was totally worth it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment