Thursday, October 8, 2009

Prague, Czech Republic

Prague, CZECH REPUBLIC

Obviously, the little situation in Budapest set me back on my timeline just a bit but fortunately for me I hadn't purchased my bus tickets before hand. Throughout this traveling adventure I have re-affirmed the fact that I really work best when I have a plan. Spontaneity is all well and good but I really like to have a general idea, a game plan of sorts... it totally aids in my peace of mind. I am now a master of economical European travel, whether it is by train, plane or bus, I have it down and can for you all the major websites, those available in English and those you have to blindly attempt to translate. If anyone is up for a bit of Euro adventure and needs some assistance, I am your gal! haha!
The bottom line was that I only had one full day in Prague. This was a bit sad, I had heard so much of the beauty of this city. It is the only one to escape WWII nearly unscathed! Quite an impressive feat! I guess it pays to have old history... ohh and to know the right people!
When I arrived in Prague it was evening time and I had been on a bus (albeit a comfy one) for the better part of the day. I only had USD (thanks to Casey for the money transfer) so had to make massive deposit on hostel room until money changers opened in the morning! That evening I met some really great people here and had awesome chats about natural healing, energy work, meditation and other topics not usually discussed in a youth hostel...fantastic and really refreshing! The next morning before embarking on another guided walking tour of the city I stopped by an electronic shop to purchase batteries for the camera lent to me by the Nagy family. I am not sure what happened exactly but when the man in the camera store was putting the new batteries in the camera he broke the small clip that held the battery door closed... really? My third camera on this trip! WTF next stop disposable! After the guided tour I took out my camera frustrations by walking consistently for the next 5 hours. I am pretty sure that I covered the majority of Prague in one day. Conclusion: great palace, lovely churches (big surprise), absolutely fantastic architecture, rad history and wayyyy too many tourists. It was a bit difficult to see what your average Czech citizen living in Prague would do on a daily basis if it were not for all the damn tourists! Honestly, I would love to go back again when I didn't feel like I had to do speed sight seeing... Next time! Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment