Thursday, January 6, 2011

An Argentine Wedding and the Aftermath

November 27th was the wedding of Santiago, one of Juan´s close pals. When I was invited everyone assured me repeatedly that weddings in Argentina were NOTHING like weddings in the states and I better get ready for the best party of my life! The Beraza family and I piled into the family truck and headed to the church for a quick ceremony and then on to the celebration. By 9:30 PM the guests were steadily streaming into the reception hall where drinks and about a million different varieties of appetizers were being served. Dinner commenced roughly an hour or so later and I was served both a regular meal as well as a vegetarian meal. From there on out, the drinks kept flowing... I had borrowed a dress from Juan´s 6-foot tall, well-endowed sister, the thing actually looked pretty decent and definitely left me feeling modest as it fell just short of my knees. It really could have used a bit more filling in the top but this was an issue I was unaware of until I started in with some serious dancing. Hours went by and still no cake in sight. Please keep in mind that wearing my watch was absolutely out of the question because it would have severely clashed with my formal attire so each reference to time is totally an estimate. I believe that somewhere around 3 or 4 AM the cake finally made her regal appearance along with all the standard traditions of tossing flowers and bits of this and that into a crowd of less than sober guests. My boyfriend even won something! Of course it was the bottle of whiskey... hahhaha I suppose there are a few differences between the wedding traditions I am accustomed to and those here. Though, I have to admit, the party was amazing. At 8 AM, a solid 12 hours of wedding celebration later, we gave our congratulations and said our goodbyes. Needless to say, a grand time was had by all.

The next morning (and by that I mean around noon) Juana (Juan´s sister) woke up the house, enticed us into the car with the temptation of passing the day by lying in the pool. Here are a few pics of the day at the Quincho. Pics of the wedding have yet to be procured as I was not the one with the camera that night... Hopefully, those will come into my possession in the relatively near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment