Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Years in Mar del Plata

Juan´s grandma Didi has a house in Mar del Plata that is roughly 25 blocks from the beach… I suppose that is a bit of a stretch to call it a beach house but it is certainly a house that is located in an area that is known for it´s beach. Good enough for me! I miss the ocean! I miss it´s sound, smell, the feel of sand between your toes and in all the places you never hoped it would go… I miss it all and was so excited for a chance to experience it Argentine style. Nine of us piled into two cars for the four hour journey south of BA. Juan, Carly, Flor, Flor´s pug, Trotsky and I in one car and a gaggle of boys in the second.

The 31st was spent shopping and gathering goodies for the nights festivities. Since we were celebrating at the beach we decided it would be best if we ate fish as opposed to the traditional parilla (BBQ) – I totally didn´t influence that pescatarian decision hehehhe.

Due to the difference in season there is also a major difference in wardrobe expectancy for the passing of the new year. Generally, I would choose an outfit that was spicy yet still reflected winter colors . Here it is summer and white signifies the color of renewal and change. The women donned white dresses and as the clock struck midnight we rung in the new year with kisses, champagne, about a million fireworks!

The remainder of the weekend was spent at various beaches, drinking tetere (mate with juice instead of hot water- mega yum!), eating snacks, climbing rocks and playing tejo (a game played on the sand that is similar to shuffle board). I managed to convince the group to stay one more day so Monday evening they headed back to Buenos Aires. This signified the end of my time with Carly as she and Pedro were going to Brazil for two weeks and she would be returning to England after that. Carly had become one of my closest friends during our time together. She is a great gal, a true friend, one who and helped shape my time in Buenos Aires. Who knew I would meet someone so cute and so fun (mahahhaha Carly that one is for you)!!!!

I wish you the very best, my sweet Carly, and hope to see you again somewhere in this world. Take care my friend. ¡Buen viaje!


1 comment:

  1. Your new years looked fun! We really really need to catch up. I'm so out of the loop it's not even funny. If you can call me... here is my number: 808 348 9238. If you can skype me... message me on FB or email and I'll get it on my phone and we can set a time up. Have the best day ever!

    ReplyDelete