Friday, July 9, 2010

Major Changes Have Come to Pass

When I initially embarked on this adventure I figured that after a few weeks of natural medicine lessons with Leonie, I would be elbow deep in placenta. Unfortunately, when I arrived and had my first chat with Leonie she said that she misunderstood me and (for some reason unbeknownst to me) she thought that I was fluent in Spanish. I can assure you I am at no point that could possibly be confused with fluency. We agreed that the best course of action would be for me to take lessons from her at a very reasonable rate while I simultaneously took Spanish lessons; from here we would see where things went. This was all well and good for several weeks until one sunny afternoon a very tired Leonie approached me. She explained that she has continued to take on patient after patient and project after project and has reached a point where she is so over worked that she can’t even recall the last time she was able to wash her hair. She has decided in the next few months she will retire from midwifery but in the mean time she must reduce her workload. I can see the stress and how it is negatively affecting her and I completely agree that the best possible option for her is to cut back on the extraneous commitments that don’t immediately effect the health of others. Unfortunately, lessons for me fit in that category. With these changes underfoot, I will soon be leaving this beautiful and sacred valley. Las Chullpas, Leonie and Chalo you have been incredible and thank you for all you have shared with and taught me. Lots of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment