Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Luxembourg City, LUXEMBOURG

Luxembourg City, LUXEMBOURG

Wow! What a beauty! The tiny capital city of Luxembourg held my heart within five minutes of being off the train. The lush green hills adorn with remnants of castle walls sucked me in. Within moments I was deep in fantasy land! My first day I spent several hours walking up and down the hills of this breathtaking city. It is clearly a wealthy city, what with all the banking opportunities here (the banking system is somewhat similar to that of the Swiss - so despite the "crisis" things are still rocking here in Lux). This was basically a dream come true to me - there were loads of healthy and vegetarian places to eat, about a million picture-postcard-perfect photo oops and if you wanted to get from one place to the next you had to walk up at least one beastly hill.

One evening I found a quaint little pub complete with a few local old men and poor lighting; it was perfect! I settled myself at the bar ordered up the local beer and wrote in my journal for the next hour or so. Eventually I was questioned about my writing and someone asked if I was writing a book. Naturally, I said yes and again answered affirmatively when questioned if I had ever been published...oops... so I chatted with my new found friends for a while but eventually my honestly got the best of me and I clarified that it was only my journal and that I wasn't actually a novelist but really a traveler from the states. The common bond of once living in the city where I left my heart, introduced me to a new pal. He was at the pub celebrating his girlfriend's 40th birthday. The small party and I chatted it up for a while and then Anna (birthday girl) invited me to a dinner party at their place the next night. I had such a great time!! It was refreshing to have an opportunity to talk with someone other than a traveler in the hostel. We dined on local foods prepared fresh by Anna herself and talked into the wee hours about politics (American and European), what it is like to be ruled by a constitutional monarch (the Grand Duke), religion, family and more. Oh and we may have had a glass or two of champagne because Anna is from France so we had the real stuff! :)

After several days, I was finally able to tear myself away from the Luxembourg City so I could explore more of the country side. Now, in general this country isn't considered cheap but public transportation is dirty cheap. One can purchase a ticket for 1.50 Euro (currently about $3 US) and can travel by bus or train to any place in the country. Keep in mind that Luxembourg is smaller than Rhode Island so you don't have far to go but really $3!!! Yes, please!

I decided to visit the highly recommended city of Vianden. Again, a city built in, on, on top and below the hills. When I arrived the sun was just beginning to set so I grabbed my map and headed off to find the hostel. I asked a local shop owner if he could help me point me in the direction of the hostel and he just laughed when I showed him the address. He took a step back to look at my with all my bags... My massive backpack on my back and then another over stuffed day-pack on my front - yeah, I looked like a pack mule but what do you want from a girl who is traveling for 4 months straight? I only have the essentials with me... well, I guess the heels aren't "essentials" but everything else is! Anyway, he was laughing because the hostel was located about 1 mile up the largest hill in sight... Well, that was that and I soon found myself cruising up the mountain being cheered along the way by random restaurant patrons... I guess I was a site to me seen...

The next morning I adventured to the Vianden castle,
visited the Victor Hugo House/Museum, and finally took the chairlift up to a truly breath taking view of the village below.
Unfortunately, the weather hadn't been "ideal" all day and now with the storm having actually rolled in I found myself to be the only one "brave" or maybe that was stupid enough to ride the chairlift up into the clouds that threatened to become a full on thunder and lightning storm. I took about 1000 pictures just in case these were to be my last moments but soon found myself on the top of the hill with a beautiful view! Totally worth it. However, in an effort of self preservation, I decided to jog down the trail that led me back to the hostel as opposed to taking the lift back down the mountain. After a lovely day I bid the town of Vianden, adieu and was back on my way to Luxembourg where I visited several museums one of which was the Musée d'Art Moderne Grand-Duc Jean (MUDAM) with some of the coolest, moving installations I have seen in a loooongggg time!

The next day I ventured to explore the District of Grevenmacher. I went on a private tour of the Bernard-Massard cellar and had a free sampling of their beautiful sparkling wines. I walked along the river side for a bit and then decided to test out my sweet new camera and my developing skills with a visit to the exotic butterfly garden. The hot house was just that and was full of the most beautiful butterflies from the tropical regions of the world.

After I had enough of the hot house, I wanted to get back to Lux City so I set out to find the bus... hummm... there were no bus stops in this part of Grevenmacher so I figured I could just re-trace my steps along the bus path that took me to the wine cellar... nope. That isn't the way it works... truthfully, I still have no clue how it works. I saw the bus and the same driver that dropped me off (there were only 3 people on the bus and I was clearly the only foreigner so I knew he would remember me) I tried to wave him down and he just pointed that I should meet him when he turned... or at least that is what I thought he meant... I don't know that I have ever run that fast in my life... phew, yes, albeit sweaty but I made the bus!

No comments:

Post a Comment